Saturday, July 26, 2008

spirit fingers

As many of you know, my mom is the cheer coach at Parowan High School. As such, she needed an assistant to go to camp with her. Because I am a former cheerleader (and also her daughter...) she asked me to go along. So, last Monday I loaded up a 15 passenger van with 10 cheerleaders and all of their gear for the week's events and we took off to Flagstaff, Arizona. The course of events to follow reminded me eerily of my cheerleading days. It was kind of fun to be on the advisor side though and see how it all goes down from that angle. It definitely gave me a new perspective on things.

This is the classic Tiffany/Brittani (she just happens to be one of the cheerleaders) picture of the week.
.
Two days in to the four that are spent at cheer camp, one of the main bases hurt her arm. This wreaked havoc to the pyramids the little cheerleaders had been incorporating into their routines for pass offs and such. My mom then had this genius idea that, because I was there and had also been a cheerleader so knew what I was doing, I should take her place. After getting it approved from the people in charge I did end up taking her place in the stunts. It worked out pretty well because I looked more like one of the girls than an advisor anyways. It also helped that they had enough extra camp clothes that just happened to be my size so I matched the rest of the girls. And can I tell you, through basing for those last two days I worked muscles that I haven't in years. I was just a tad bit sore afterwards. I was able to pull off all the stunts that we tried though so I'm guessing that I was at least a little bit helpful.

I am the base on the right hand side for the stunt group right smack dab in the middle.

No comments: