Saturday, July 26, 2008

growing pains

Going home this past week really got me to thinking.  I was able to see lots of my high school friends and reminisce and catch up with everything that is going on in their lives.  Through this process, i realized how much of a different person I am now than I was then.  

Three years ago, I was freshly graduated from high school, and in my own little way I thought that I was pretty cool.  I had graduated with honors and, as the senior class president, I even gave the welcoming speech at my graduation.  I worked as an intermediate EMT on the Parowan Ambulance, lifeguarded at the city pool, and I had a full tuition scholarship lined up for me in the fall at the University of Utah.  Everything was going in my favor.  I didn't really have to try, things were just given to me.  I was ready to move on with my life.  I had closed the high school chapter and couldn't wait to start my college life.  At the time, I thought that I had it rough when my friends wouldn't call to hang out with me.  I had my struggles, but for the most part my life was really good and easy.  

The next three years changed me in ways that I never imagined.  I went my first semester without a 4.o.  I had to support myself and make my own decisions.  I was thrown into a new city with new people.  I didn't have a curfew, I could date anyone I wanted, and I was living the city life.  I fell in love, planned a wedding, and had my heart broken.  I transferred schools and ended up at BYU.  I fought with my mom more than ever before.  I learned how to make new relationships with people while maintaining ones that I already had.  I bonded with roommates quicker than ever before.  I had to tell people things and rely on others to help me through hard times.  My paypal account was broken into so I had to work to get my $850 that was stolen back.  I totaled my car and now make payments on a new one.

Through all of this, I have grown exponentially.  I am a much better person now than I ever dreamed I could be.  Because I am a firm believer that there are no coincidences, I know that the things that I have gone through have all happened for a reason.  I am exactly where I need to be at this point in my life.  Three years ago if you had asked me if I would ever go to BYU or send off a missionary I would have laughed and told you that you didn't know me very well.  But, now here I am and I am loving every minute.  In a way, I have really found myself.  Though I still have miles to go, I know who I am and what I really want out of life.  I am willing to accept change and have an open mind.  I also know that I deserve the best and I don't need to settle for anything less.  

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Life is bitter-sweet. Great life lessons learned, some people never figure themselves out. If you need anything or and escape, know that we are here.

Chris and Ivory said...

tiffany... long time no see. I found you blog on your face book. Sounds like you doing great!

Bobbie Murphy said...

Life is great and our challenges only make us better people and appreciate what we really have! We are always here for you if you need us... Emily and Sarah come for dinner sometimes, you are welcome too!