Monday, June 30, 2008

eating quarters

A few days ago I got a text from my mom that read "we are going to Oak City to eat quarters".  Naturally, I was confused.  I responded by asking why exactly we were going to eat quarters.  As it turns out, we are actually making a quilt out of fat quarters for our annual Cousins' Sleepover.  It will kind of be in memory of my Grandma (who, if you don't know, was basically the quilting queen and made all 34 or so of her grandchildren at least 7 quilts each and that doesn't even take into account her children).


So today, my family and I met in Oak City in order to start our process of quilt making.  We each made 20 squares of the above design.  When the time comes (middle of August) we will trade them with other members of my family that have also made some so that we can each have a big conglomerate quilt from various members of our family.  It should be pretty cool :)
After cutting and sewing enough material together to make three whole quilts we decided that it was time to eat.  My poor sister has strep throat, so this was particularly hard for her.  If you can notice the difference in our tongues (hers is much more white than any normal, healthy person's should be) you can see the sickness.  She does much better when she has some ibuprofen in her system.  Seriously, it's like night and day.

All in all, it was a fabulous day with the family!

Oh, and I almost forgot.  There was totally a snake on my aunt's kitchen floor today.  I walked in to get a drink of water and almost stepped on it.  I proceeded to scream "THERE IS A SNAKE IN YOUR KITCHEN! THERE IS A SNAKE IN YOUR KITCHEN AND I AM NOT KIDDING!"  Shortly after that my brother came and took care of it.  It was a rather interesting and unexpected experience.  Thankfully I survived without any harm done.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

So fun. Hopefully we see you before Oak City Days

Bobbie Murphy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bobbie Murphy said...

I can't wait to trade blocks with you! Thanks to Tiffany who gave me your blog address! Visit mine it has tons of pictures of Kaylin!