Wednesday, June 18, 2008

pre-testing rituals

Now I might be wrong, but I think that all of us have at least a little superstition in us.  I also think that this superstition is often made manifest when we have to take a test.  Take for example my pre-test ritual...

1. Do all of the big important studying in order to sufficiently prepare.  It is in the final two hours or so that the rituals make themselves manifest.
2. T minus two hours:  the final crunch begins.  
3. I look through my flashcards again and again and all of the final study preparations are made.
4. I make the trek to the dreaded testing center (or the computer lab on the 4th floor of the Witdsoe depending on the time of year).
5. I take a drink of water.  For some reason I have always done this.  Perhaps this small bit of refreshment will give me a needed boost of brain power.
6. Now it is bathroom break time.  My world would come crashing down if all I could think about while taking a test is how much I had to go to the bathroom.
7. My last little bit of nourishment before I go in to my doom is to eat some chocolate.  I'm not picky as to what type...it can be a brownie, chocolate bar, or just some chocolate chips.  I think that sometime in my life I have heard that eating chocolate stimulates some part of you brain so that you remember better.  I could be very wrong.
8. I have to take another drink in order to wash down the chocolate.  Having my mouth all sticky and dry would also distract me or something.
9. Finally, after like five minutes of non-studious activities, I walk in and get my test.  

I'm not sure if all of this silly little routine actually does anything for my test taking ability.  It is probably more of just a comfort/psychological thing that my subconscious would freak out about if I didn't perform.

No comments: