Thursday, September 3, 2009

nirvana

nirvana: (according to Merriam Webster)
1 : the final beatitude that transcends suffering, karma, and samsara and is sought especially in Buddhism through the extinction of desire and individual consciousness
2 a : a place or state of oblivion to care, pain, or external reality; also : blissheaven b : a goal hoped for but apparently unattainable : dream


Today I found nirvana. 

Since I ran my half marathon almost a month ago now, I have been seriously slacking on my running. I didn't have the motivation I had previously and I didn't want it to feel like a chore when I went. I wanted to enjoy it. Today I went for my first good, challenging, long(ish) run since August 8th. 

It was amazing. 

I found the coolest little place called Memory Grove which leads into Memory Park. It is a pretty little mountain trail that winds in and out of the trees with a stream along side that ends at a quaint little park in downtown Salt Lake. I had no idea where it would take me when I decided to run down it, but I am glad that I wanted to explore.

The run back up was a little killer, but it made me remember truly how much I have come to love running-and also how much I have missed it this last month. Running up the hill back to 11th Avenue and B street all I could think about was how perfect it all was. The run, the scenery, the time of day, the sunset, everything. Coming up the final turn I had a picturesque view of the Capitol building with the whole valley in the background. It was truly breathtaking. 

I truly found nirvana today.

No comments: