Wednesday, September 9, 2009

vertigo

Vertigo is a real condition and not just a CD by Vertical Horizon. I know this because I experienced it today for probably the first time in my life. I've been dizzy before, but nothing can quite compare to true vertigo.

I drive up and down Parley's Canyon every day. It is an altitude change, but nothing that I thought was a big deal. Apparently it messes with my ears and sense of balance. As a Medical Technologist I am pretty close with the microscope. Today for the first time in a couple months I sat down at a microscope. Let's just say that it didn't go over very well. After counting cells for about 2 minutes I was hit with a wave of nausea, then came the dizzy, light-headedness. Luckily, I was able to finish the slide I was looking at but not without a bit of strain. 

As soon as I was done I basically ran to the office so I could lie down and let the moment pass. Lucky for me, our pathologist was in the lab today. She proceeded to ask me what was wrong, get a blood glucose done on me, make a diagnosis, and tell me how to treat my symptoms. Every one took very good care of me - offering me water, mints, and helping me get my lunch. 

After about an hour the moment had passed and I was back to my chipper self. I got some sudaffed and gum that will hopefully clear out my fluid filled ears that are messing with my balance. I will find out tomorrow since I have to be on the microscope again. 

Wish me luck!

No comments: