Sunday, March 2, 2008

one of my favorites

In church today we sang one of my all time favorite hymns.  It is hymn #185 Reverently and Meekly Now.  It really hits me every time that I sing it or hear it sung.  The descriptive words that are used and the way that it is written makes the atonement so real for me and helps me to realize how much the Lord loves me.

Reverently and meekly now, 
Let thy head most humbly bow.
Think of me, thou ransomed one;
Think what I for thee have done.
With my blood that dripped like rain,
Sweat in agony of pain,
With my body on the tree
I have ransomed even thee.

In this bread now blest for thee,
Emblem of my body see;
In this water or this wine,
Emblem of my blood divine.
Oh, remember what was done
That the sinner might be won.
On the cross of Calvary
I have suffered death for thee.

Bid thine heart all strife to cease;
With thy brethren be at peace.
Oh, forgive as thou wouldst be
E'en forgiven now by me.
In the solemn faith of prayer
Cast upon me all thy care,
And my Spirit's grace shall be
Like a fountain unto thee.

At the throne I intercede;
For thee ever do I plead.
I have loved thee as thy friend,
With a love that cannot end.
Be obedient, I implore,
Prayerful, watchful evermore,
And be constant unto me,
That thy Savior I may be.

Christ really is on our side.  He suffered and died for us so that through him we might have eternal life.  Most of the time it is hard to even grasp a tiny bit of what He went through for us, but some things help us at times to come even just a little bit closer to comprehending the magnitude of His sacrifice.  This song is one of those things for me. 

1 comment:

kristen said...

wow. thank you tiff.

remember MY favorite hymn? The one we just HAD to sing THREE TIMES A WEEK? Ah....the joys.