Monday, February 1, 2010

time, time, time

Time...it is such an important part of this life. 

Due to a recent change in work schedule, time seems to have much less proportion than it ever used to. Allow me to explain - I work 7on/7off, Wednesday to Tuesday, 5am-3:30pm. Seven ten hour days in a row. I know that at this point you are probably thinking "wow...that is awful". But, then I get seven full days off in a row. I love my new schedule, absolutely love it. It does mess with my sense of time though. Wednesday feels like Monday or sometimes Saturday. Today, in theory, should be a Monday but it too feels very much like a Saturday. I am learning however, to not put a lot of stock into what day of the week it is so I get far less confused. It definitely makes my life interesting.

Another thought I have towards time is that it goes by so quickly. It seems the older I get, the more quickly time flies. The fact that I will be 23 in just over a month isn't what gets me. It is the fact that my youngest brother now has a driver's license and that my sister is graduating from high school this spring. Weird.

In church yesterday, one of the speakers said something like this (not an exact quote, but what I remember) "time is an investment. What are you investing your time in?" I thought that was some good food for thought. Comparing time to money kind of puts a new perspective on it. We are really careful with our money - don't spend it on unnecessary things, invest it, save it, and a slew of other things. I don't think we are as careful with our time. Do we invest it in stock that will grow and cause us to reap the rewards later? Or do we give it to mind-numbing activities that will drain us of all emotion? Is the way we are spending our time now going to benefit us in the long run? I am sure that only time will tell.

No comments: