Sunday, June 28, 2009

sleep, sweet sleep

Like almost every Saturday, my day started bright and early at 4:45. Unlike most Saturdays, my alarm didn't go off so my wake up call was the person at work wondering why I hadn't shown up yet. On the bright side, I did get an hour more sleep than I was expecting. Very exciting.

Last night I went to the Mormon Miracle Pageant in Manti with Krista, Daniel, Daniel's brother and sister, and one of Krista's friends. We went down in two separate cars (girls in one boys in the other). The ride down consisted of a lot of singing, mocking songs that we were singing, and laughing. Once there, we ate some tortilla sandwiches (compliments of Krista) and drank some delicious lemonade. While waiting for it to get dark so it could start, we played some catch phrase. I LOVE that game - I almost forgot how much fun it can be. Finally it got dark and the Pageant started at 9:30. It was fabulous, as it always is.

Our drive home started at around 11:30. Manti is an hour and a half away from Provo when there isn't any traffic. Both Krista and I are the type of people that go to bed early. If either one of us is awake after 10:30 it is a rare occurrence. It was my goal to stay awake and talk to Krista on the drive home so that she wouldn't fall asleep since we had both far exceeded our bedtimes. I did pretty good for the first little while. In fact, I was able to stay fully awake and even semi functional clear up until we got to Nephi - which, mind you, is about half the drive. After that though, it went downhill fast. I was in and out of sleep. But I was trying so hard to stay awake. One thing that you should know about me is that I talk in my sleep. On a pretty regular basis (just ask Emily - she will tell you all about it). My sleep talking abilities did not disappoint last night. I would randomly wake up and know that I was talking but have no idea about what. Or I would know what I was saying but not really know why or know that it definitely didn't make any sense. I really have no idea what I was saying to Krista most of the time. She assures me though that I talked and even sang along with the radio. She did say that she was grateful and that it helped keep her awake, even if I wasn't conscious at the time. 

Deep down inside my tired mind running for almost 21 hours straight, I knew that I wanted to talk to her and help keep her awake. And don't even worry, I did my part. Whether it made sense or not, that is another story.

Thank goodness for late night adventures! There is never a dull day.

1 comment:

Sharee said...

that is so funny! I had a comp on the mission that talked in her sleep, and I would laugh so much! So, i'm glad you helped your pal stay awake. :) and that you made it back safely. It would have entertained me greatly if i were the one driving ad listening to you.

PS i have also been known to talk in my sleep, but usually when I am in a strange place, like traveling somewhere.