Monday, March 23, 2009

my week as a phlebotomist

During my internship I have the opportunity to rotate through all the different areas that a lab can have. This week is phlebotomy.  

Allow me to tell you how day 1 went:

8:00 am:  I arrive at American Fork Hospital. I go into the phlebotomy area and watch a few draws.

8:30 am: I am set free to draw people all on my own.  I have drawn blood before because we did it every single week during class. This is something that I should be pretty proficient at, right?

Draw #1:  A cute little old man came in for a simple blood draw. I do the whole phlebotomist thing, feel for a vein and confidently stick the needle in. Much to my dismay I didn't get any blood-meaning that I missed the vein. Awesome start.

Draw #2: See draw #1. Definitely not the start I was hoping for - and probably not what those men were hoping for when they came in to get their blood drawn.

Draw #3: This time I was successful! I even had to draw 6 tubes of blood and was able to fill all of them!

The rest of the day went much more smoothly. Apparently I just had to get it out of my system at the beginning. Hopefully the rest of the week goes as well as the last part of my day did today. 

2 comments:

sldziuk said...

I'm glad you were able to get that poor old man's blood drawn! I went in the other day to get mine and it took three tries (one on my right arm and two on my left arm which included taking it on the side!) After all of that they only got half a tube anyways! The whole time the lady was telling me that I had good veins...huh. apparently she couldn't hit one. So I really hope yours go good from now on because it's not fun at all when they can't do it right :)

Brett & Shae Malachowski said...

Fun isn't it? I'm a phlebotomist, but there just are no job openings! I'm worried I'm going to loose my "skillz" though lol