Saturday, January 2, 2010

happiness

What is happiness? It seems like the whole world is always on this constant search for happiness. It seems to me that everyone's definition of happiness varies depending on stages of life, past experiences, etc.

For my life circumstances right now, I would consider myself happy. I am always striving to learn more and better myself, but overall I live a happy life. As I look to the future, which is commonplace - especially this time of year, I wonder what it is that will be my definition of happiness 5 years from now, 10 years from now. Granted, 5 years ago I probably wouldn't have placed myself where I am now, but life doesn't always happen exactly how we plan it - or even want it to. I sincerely hope that I will live my life in such a way that I can continue to experience happiness an joy for many years to come.

At work, I am the person that comes around and wakes you up in the wee hours of the morning to draw your blood, or the person who you come to see specifically so I can stick a needle in your arm. Not often is the person walking around with the phlebotomy tray anyone's favorite person to see. However; since I am in the position that I am, I am privy to observing a lot of human interaction.

One of my favorite type of patients to see are those with their significant others. More often than not, I am drawing the woman's blood with the man watching. I absolutely LOVE seeing how cute guys can be with their wives. The women that come in to test their blood during their first pregnancy with their husbands who are cute and protective and try to distract them while I draw the blood. The husband that makes sure I am the plebotomist his wife gets everytime she comes in because he knows I can succussfully draw her blood with minimal pain and sticks. And let's not forget the grieving husband silently holding his wife's feet,with tears streaming down his face, while the doctor accesses her after a snowmobiling accident.

All of these situations are so tender. The love and devotion that these couples have towards each other is almost tangible. With every word that is spoken I get to see how much they truly care about each other. One day I want to experience this type of happiness. I want to be the girl with the cute husband that the phlebotomist loves to see.Whether this day comes in 2 years or 20, I want to care about someone so deeply that it overtakes my whole being.

So, to Mr. Right, wherever and whoever you are, know this: I'm not really picky about what you look like or how much money you make. I'm sure that you will have a past because I have one too. Your car can be twenty years old or brand new - none of this really matters. What I am really interested in is how you will care for me. Your love and devotion to me will one day mean more than any of those superficial things ever could. I look forward to the day I meet you, and if I come off as a little stand-offish I promise it isn't just you, I come off that way to most people when they first meet me. I'm not necessarily an easy girl to catch, but somewhere inside I really do want you to sweep me off my feet.

1 comment:

Heather jeffs said...

you are just to cute ...Love all your posts .... and most the time i just want to copy them especially when you talk about what you want ..i am right there with ya and i am happy i know you and i love ya and i am happy for you and Hunter is a very lucky guy !!!