Sunday, February 1, 2009

little blessings

Every third weekend I can be found at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in the Laboratory. I am there working for twelve hours on both Saturday and Sunday. As such, I get to attend the little sacrament meeting hosted by the hospital branch. It generally consists of an array of hospital workers, patients and their families, as well as the branch presidency with their wives. The congregation ranges from about 10 up to 50 people.

It amazes me how strong the spirit can be felt in even such a small group. The hymns are sung loud and clear with no reservation despite singing capabilities. I love it! The people that come aren't always dressed up in Sunday clothes due to whatever circumstances they are coping with, but they are doing their very best to be there. The fact that a lot of those patients even come is amazing - they are very sick and I am sure that the Lord would understand them staying in bed for the day, but they still make the special effort to be there. During the sacrament you can hear the click and hum of oxygen tanks. There is special room made for all those in attendance in wheelchairs. Those who bless and pass the sacrament may be EMT's who are in on an ambulance run, housekeepers, or doctors. Hospital staff who need to return to work are excused after the sacrament. There is such a feeling of love and acceptance all around in that little chapel. I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have to take time out of my work to attend this little sacrament meeting!

No comments: